Sunday, June 24, 2007

 

Wings Over the Gold Coast


Yes, helicopters do have wings. Dad says that a helicopter is really a rotary-winged aircraft. The wings are the long thin things that whiz around on top and that you have to be careful of when you are getting in and out so that you don't end up as thinly-sliced bear kebab. Anyhow, here are a couple of photos of what we flew over.
The top photo is over South Stradbroke Island. South Straddie is one of the islands that make the outside of the Broadwater and the southern end of Moreton Bay. It is mostly sand and scrub. Notice how the pilot has given me a really important job. I am the forward lookout and I have to yell if I see other aircraft in the sky or sharks or whales in the water.
The bottom photo shows some of the big buildings of Surfers Paradise. The really big one is called Q1. It is the tallest residential tower in the world at present. I have been almost to the top of it. In fact, the very second picture on my blog was taken out of one of the 78th floor windows; check it out in the November 2006 archive. It is the building where the security guard insisted on putting me through a full-body search before he let me in the building (check the Dec '06 postings for an embarrasing picture). It was great to see it from way up above with no security hassles. Small bears and helicopters are really meant to go together.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?