Tuesday, November 13, 2007

 

A Foot On Both Sides


Here's my mad Dad at a rather special place. The line on the ground that he is standing over is the Prime Meridian of the Earth. It is at Greenwich Observatory in London, where the astronomy was done to set up the navigation system for sailors. If you look at a map of the world you will see this line marked as 0 degrees of longitude, running from pole to pole. All east-west distances on the Earth are measured from this line. Dad is standing with a foot in the eastern half of the world and one in the western half, pretty good for an old codger. Now he has the urge to stand on the other side of the world straddling the 180 degree line. That sounds good to me, because the 180 line crosses land in my favourite place. You guessed it, it's in eastern Fiji and Captain Cook has a cruise that takes you right there. If they do go there I will be going with them because the Fijian customs guys all know me and I just love Captain Cook's boat.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?