Friday, June 13, 2008

 

Football Tower


So where did I get that football? Well, Mum always has to go to the observation deck of the tallest building in any place we visit. Dad is a fraidy-cat when it comes to heights, but he always comes along. There is a new building in Melbourne, the Eureka Tower, that lets you get about ten floors higher than the previous "tallest", so of course we went there. You can see a picture of the tower on my ticket (concession for me). All the way around the observation deck they have these cool viewing tubes that centre on buildings and things of interest. They are beaut things for small bears to climb on. The problem is that the metal is slippery and it is very difficult to hang on and see through the tube at the same time. Dad to the rescue. Here we are looking out towards the sporting heart of Melbourne. The big round building is the Melbourne Cricket Ground (the MCG). Between it and the river is the Rod Laver Arena, home of tennis, where the Michael Bubble concert was. They don't only play cricket at the MCG. Back in 1858 they invented the rules for Aussie Rules football there and played the first games in 1859. So the MCG is the birthplace of Australian Football (not to be confused with either type of Rugby, soccer, or the American version). Since I was next door to the MCG and looking into it, I just had to get a football. The Eureka tower shop sells ones that are just the right size for me. Now, when I get into practice I will try for a place in Unka Mark's favourite team, which he calls StKFC. I should be just as good with the footy as a team of chicken bits any day now.

(note from Dad: For those not up on their AFL teams, Bart is referring to St Kilda Football Club. I think he is in for a shock when he finds out).

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?