Saturday, June 28, 2008

 

Lighthouse on the Reef


This is one cute lighthouse. It is on one of the Low Isles, near Port Douglas, and is the main lighthouse for boats coming back from trips out to the Barrier Reef. The Low Isles are a pair of very different islands. The small one is nice and sandy and the bigger one is yucky and swampy. Naturally, the lighthouse is on the smaller one. We went out for a day trip on one of the Quicksilver boats in 2005, just before we did our Barrier Reef cruise with Captain Cook. I had fun that day. It had a bit of everything, a bus trip, a look at some cassawories, lots of different sorts of boats, a small train, a boat trip, a beaut beach to explore while the Oldies were off snorkelling, and enough people around to scare the crabs away. We walked all around the island, and had a good look at the lighthouse which is in the middle of the island. There is a nice path from the beach so not even small bears can get lost there (unless we want to). The only problem is that once I got away from the crowd on the beach I was back in crab territory. Fortunately there is a set of posts to climb and a chain joining them that I learnt to tight-rope walk on while the Oldies were busy taking photos (can you see me in this one). Crabs are not good tightrope walkers.
I love holidays. Only two more sleeps before we are off on our next one. My next post will be in a fortnight, with more pictures of my favourite thing, cruising Fiji with Captain Cook.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments:
I love lighthouses! That really is a cute one. Have fun on your travels.

-Califia
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?