Thursday, June 04, 2009

 

Supervising Shunting

Here I am, way down at the end of the very long platform 1 at Sydney Central Station. It is the first day of our trans-Australia trip and the locomotive is busy getting carriages hooked up for the trip. This is the big loco that hauled us across the continent. It is about to hook onto a special carriage that carries cars, two decks of them. It will then haul the carriage onto the same track as the passenger carrriages are on and couple it onto them to make the complete train. I love watching shunting operations like this and Dad is usually OK about taking me to the far ends of platforms and holding me up so I can see over the barriers.The Indian-Pacific usually has a couple of car carriages. People can drive their car on in Sydney, Adelaide or Perth and not have to do the thousands of kilometers of driving. I think that is a great idea and it saves a lot of petrol and tired drivers. Maybe next time we will take our car with us.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Oh Bart, you lead such a lively adventure for a bear! Your Mum And Pop are so lucky you take them with you. I on the other hand..am very lucky I found your blog, I so love reading about your travels, it always puts a smile on my face! thank you so much for sharing!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?