Tuesday, May 04, 2010

 

Bear in the Tower

The tower on Rocky Hill at Goulburn is a memorial to the soldiers from the district who were killed in the wars. It was built in 1925 and originally it remembered the soldiers of World War 1. The tower is built of cemented rock and is 20 metres high. Inside is a wall with the soldiers' names on it, a small shrine of remembrance and about a gazillion steps that let you go up to the lookout level. There are pictures of the original ANZACs around the sides of the stairwell. Now 20 metres may not seem like much to fit people, but it is a long way for a small bear. I had to stop for a breather every so often, and during these breaks I liked to climb up the safety mesh and see how far it looked down to the floor. You can just see me in the main picture, so I have put a little close-up in as well. Dad didn't mind this, he just kept an eye on me for safety, but Mum was her usual worry-wart self and made sure that I was securely in her carry-bag when we were on the way down again. You can see great views from the top of the tower. I will post some pictures of them later.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?