Sunday, August 05, 2012

 

At The Top

Here I am at the highest observation deck in the world. It is on the 124th floor of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. That's 452m (1,483ft) above the streets of the city. The observation deck has an open area and an indoor one. Even though it looks like I am a long way up, the Burj has 40 floors and a spire above me. You do get a great view of Dubai from up here. One of the things that enhance the view are the hi-tech view screens like the one that I am sitting on. These show you the bit of the city you aim them at in day, night or historical view, so you can see what it looks like at other times and what it looked like before all those buildings were built. This can be a great help if you are unfortunate enough to be there when the dust in the air makes it hard to see with your unaided eyes. I really liked the elevators that take you up to the observation deck; they travel at 64km/hr! So fast that Mum didn't have time to video the floor counter numbers flicking away. A tip from me: if you want to go up the Burj, buy your tickets online before you travel. They are much cheaper that way and saves you having to wait in long, slow-moving lines when you arrive. Of course, you are locked into a certain day and you might be hit by dust, but that's the risk anytime. Anyhow, I now claim to be one of the world's highest bears. Note that aircraft don't count for this claim, and even if they did, I have been pretty high in A380s and 747s.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?