Monday, October 07, 2013

 

Arabian Artifacts


How time gets away. Here we are over a year after our Dubai trip and I still haven't shown anywhere near even a small collection of the best photos. And the same for our New Zealand trip, and the Oldies Eurotrip. I just don't get much time at the computer. The big holdup at the moment is Dad, getting a set of talks ready for our next trip. We leave for Hawaii in less than three weeks and, after a week exploring the two main islands, we sail back on "Celebrity Millenium". Dad is the Enrichment Lecturer on the cruise. That means even more photos to process and show when we get back. A small bear-type travel reporter is always busy.
Anyhow, here's a few of the artifacts that impressed me in Dubai. The brass camel that I am sitting on is part of the mind-boggling collection of stuff at Sindbad's Antiques in the Souk Madinet Jumierah. You can spend ages browsing in this shop and almost nobody gets away without buying something. No, the Oldies did not buy me the camel. The big round plate thing is an astronomical calendar. The Oldies were very excited to see this in one of the corridors of the hotel. They actually know how it works. I preferred the huge coffee pot. How huge is it? Measure it from the photo: 1 sitting Bart = 18cm bottom to top of head, so measure the number of Barts and apply the fiddle factor. The other thing I tried at every opportunity was looking inside the big vases and pots that Dubai is full of. I just know that at least one of them has to contain a Genie. The ones in the picture are much taller than the Oldies (mind you, neither of them is actually very tall) but any genies that the pots contained were not in residence when I climbed up and looked. Next trip I will definitely catch me a genie.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?