Tuesday, July 22, 2014

 

Melbourne Star

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you have probably noticed that I love Ferris Wheels. I have been on the really big ones in London and Singapore, and on the smaller ones at Brisbane and Perth, not counting the small ones at various shows. Now Melbourne has a big wheel, the Melbourne Star. It is 120m tall, not quite as big as the Singapore Flyer (165m) or the London Eye (135m) but still the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere. The reason for the Star's name is obvious, it has seven spokes representing the seven-pointed Federal Star on the Aussie flag. The Star had a rather bad start. It started operation in December 2008 but had to be stripped down and rebuilt because the structure started to crack. It re-opened in December 2013. Despite these early problems, I just had to ride it. The view is not as spectacular as you see from the other wheels, but you do get a good look over part of the city. I really like the view away from the city because on one side you see the complicated network of train tracks and on the other you see the container port. Trains, ships and cranes are much more interesting than ordinary buildings to this small bear. Now to talk the Oldies into visiting Vegas so I can ride on the High Roller, and by the time I get back to Dubai they may have an even bigger one ready for me.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?