Friday, August 02, 2019

 

Apollo Momentos

The week of the Apollo 11 50th anniversary was a busy one in Canberra, after all, the tracking stations near here played vital roles in the Moon landing. As well as going to as many of the exhibitions and lectures as I could talk the Oldies into taking me to, I managed to get first day copies of the stamps and coins that Australia Post and the Royal Australian Mint issued. There are 4 stamps in the set and, if you were quick enough, you could choose them in several different packages. I chose a folder with the stamps, the story and some of the technical info. There was also a folder with a commemorative medallion; had to get one of those as well (after all, Mum was paying). The Mint issued coins of the usual denominations. Only the $1 has a special imprint, the Honeysuckle Creek dish and trackers in the control room. I got a set in a special folder. These "ordinary" coins will go into circulation, but there are also special collectors coins, some of them quite expensive. Mum was not paying for any of them for me. The $5 coin is spectacular, but it sells for $195 so I guess I won't ever own one of them. So, 50 years since that historic day and the Moon still has nobody living on it, maybe due to the lack of small bears as mascots in the program.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?