Thursday, October 28, 2021

 

Lake George is Filling Again

If you search Lake George in my blog, you will see photos of it in many stages between empty and full. The lake is about 25 km long and 10 km wide and is very shallow (particularly when it is almost empty). I have never seen it full, but my grandad once told me that it was actually full enough to splash across the highway that runs along the western side; the Oldies confirm that it was totally full back in the early 1990s. Because it has no rivers or creeks flowing into it, it only fills when we have lots of rain. When there is no rain the water evaporates away. The deepest it ever gets is about 4.5 metres in the south-east section. Over the years it has seen speedboats, ultra-light aircraft, sheep and cows using it, depending on how full/empty it is. That's one of our wind farms that you can see on the far shore. I hope I get to see it full again, it has been mostly empty all the times I have driven past it.
 

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?