Friday, February 10, 2023

 

Main Streets of Manly

Manly has been a holiday suburb of Sydney since the mid-1850s. There are some great examples of colonial architecture in the suburb, like the council building near the wharf and the police station in nearby Belgrave Street. There are 2 streets where tourists spend most of their time. The Corso runs from the ferry wharf to the beach, and the Esplanade runs along the beachfront. The Corso and some of the side streets are plazas (no cars allowed) and have a good mix of shops. In the afternoons and evenings there are usually buskers performing here. My 2 favourite places are the Ivanhoe Hotel where food and drinks are always available, and Anita's Gelato (the best I have tasted on my trips around Australia). The shops along the Esplanade are a mix of cafes and surf shops. My favourites here are Hemingway's cafe where we had breakfast, and The Pantry (right on the beach) where we had lunch with relatives. Hot weather and beaches = drinks; I have had some comments about my drinking, but this small bear is now 20 (above the Australian drinking age) and know how to hold my liquor.
 

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?